Game of Thrones has been huge since it was first released by HBO in 2011; it has kept millions of viewers from all around the world enthralled season after season. Without any spoilers, this short article will tell you 5 things you probably don’t know about Game of Thrones.
1. Brienne – Gwendoline Christie – is actually taller than most viewers think. Looking at her on screen you may never guess how tall she is – she is actually 6ft 3in and her height has been a subject of fascination for many, including photographer Polly Borland who has taken a series of photos highlighting just how tall she is. Gwendoline is 36 and alumni of Drama Centre London. Game of Thrones is her first major TV series. From the look of things, this may be the beginning of a long career.
2. Game of Thrones was inspired by a centuries old true story, The Wars of the Roses. This is the story of the struggle for succession for the English throne. Families were pitted against each other and they did anything they could to ensure that they would be the rulers of the land. Coincidentally, this was also the inspiration for William Shakespeare’s King Richard III.
3. Peter Dinklage, the lovable, witty and intelligent actor who plays the role of Tyrion, was fortunate enough to star alongside Robin Williams in his last movie, The Angriest Man in Brooklyn. This movie is almost a prediction of events that were to follow. Robin Williams plays the role of a man who finds out that he has just 90 minutes to live. His brother (Dinklage) and his family have to look for him in order to get him to the hospital on time. Robin, in the meantime, is running around trying to find his estranged son to tell him that he loves him; at some point, he gets so frustrated that he running out of time and tries to kill himself.
4. Harry Lloyd who plays the role of Viserys Targaryen, has fame in his blood – he is the great-great-great grandson of Charles Dickens, the famous British author.
5. Jack Gleeson has announced that Game of Thrones is his last gig and he does not plan to continue acting once the series is over. What will he do instead? He says that he has other interests he intends to pursue including, he says, humanitarianism.
There are 5 things you didn’t know about Game of Thrones!